Thursday, January 20, 2011

Adding new Ldap attributes to your Websphere Portal 6.1 configuration - the easier way

If you look at the WebSphere Portal 6.1 Infocenter for Adding new Ldap attributes to your Websphere Portal 6.1 configuration it basically gives you several steps and repeat steps to follow to get your new ldap attributes added like running the task which would install the ear file (./ConfigEngine.sh wp-la-install-ear -DWasPassword=password) and running ./ConfigEngine.sh wp-add-property -DWasPassword=password repeatedly to add each attribute. These steps are tedious and requires manual intervention because every it prompts for the password everytime. Also you need to install the ear file just for this task and will never use the app for anything else. Further analysis revealed that all it does it updating the wimxmlextension.xml file, located in the wp_profile_root/config/cells/cellname/wim/model directory and wimconfig.xml file, located in the wp_profile_root/config/cells/cellname/wim/config directory. Hence if you do the same yourself manually you will probably end of saving more time and also can be automated as a part of your install/deploy tasks.

For (eg) to add a new LDAP attribute (
PreferredGivenName) , Just add this below xml section to wimxmlextension.xml ,

<wim:propertySchema nsURI="http://www.ibm.com/websphere/wim" dataType="String" multiValued="false" propertyName="PreferredGivenName"> <wim:applicableEntityTypeNames>PersonAccount</wim:applicableEntityTypeNames> </wim:propertySchema>

and,

<config:attributes name="PreferredGivenName" propertyName="PreferredGivenName"> <config:entityTypes>PersonAccount</config:entityTypes> <config:entityTypes>Group</config:entityTypes> </config:attributes>

to wimconfig.xml as mentioned in the above directory location. Repeat
the above for additional new attributes. Except for LA (Lookaside) to need to update the LAPROP table in the db.




Sunday, January 16, 2011

Google Search screwed up my blog index

Back in 2009 I used to write a lot of blog articles until Google came and screwed up by blog index made my blog search traffic to drop by 75% and i probably lost my motivation (why write when no one is reading it ? ). Now it seems they might have fixed something and my blog search traffic has been back to normal levels, my be i will get my motivation back :).



If you look at the above stats , since Oct 2009 I used to get like an average of 150 visitors/day and then it suddenly dropped just like 30 visitors/day. Nothing really happened, same number of blog posts, nothing deleted , no changes in terms of blog settings or nothing. There was no clue why it dropped suddenly which then i followed up with google several time using their webmaster tools for reconsideration of my website to re-index or fix. But never really got anything useful from them except their automated generated message and really got frustrated and gave up,

Google's reply ,

We received a request from a site owner to reconsider how we index the following site: http://webspherehelp.blogspot.com/.

We've now reviewed your site. When we review a site, we check to see if it's in violation of our Webmaster Guidelines. If we don't find any problems, we'll reconsider our indexing of your site. If your site still doesn't appear in our search results, check our Help Center for steps you can take.

This is an automated message from Webmaster Tools. Please do not reply to this email. For help, please visit http://www.google.com/support/webmasters.

But now some were in Nov 2010 my blog all of a sudden started to see same amount of search traffic that i used to get in Oct. 2009 with no changes ( Gave up posting sine Jan 2010). Hence not sure what really happened except i could think that Google really screwed up and they might have recently fixed it after almost an year. I wish Google doesn't do screw up anymore to anyone as they can really hamper the information sharing and exchange because it really affects one's motivation.
There was an error in this gadget